[SATLUG] Printing on home network

Aaron Konstam akonstam at Trinity.Edu
Wed Aug 21 19:24:01 CDT 2002

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 01:45:02PM -0500, Karl.Kutac at siriuscom.com wrote:
> Hi. More newbie admin questions. I have a desktop RH7.3 box attached to an
> SMC Barricade router (and the router is attached to the RoadRunner cable
> modem). My printer, an NEC 950C (inkjet) is attached to the router, too. A
> common enough arrangement, I'm sure. Question: how do I configure
> printconf, or printtool? It would be a remote printer, yes? Yet when I put
> in the IP address of the router, it doesn't print. Is anyone familiar with
> the SMC Barricade vis a vis Linux? Is there a specific virtual server port
> that needs to be set up? What confuses me more than anything is that there
> can't be any queue on a router, so surely print jobs need to be sent to my
> desktop machine, so that lpd can handle it; how will the lpd know where to
> send the print jobs?
> (btw, can't directly attach printer via lpt0 because two other computers
> live on the network, a w98 box and at times a laptop running either RH or
> win2k.)
> -- Karl Kutac
If the printer is on a router which has a printer it should be possible
to print using printconf-gui. Name the printer, say it is a remote Unix
printer, give its address as the address of the router and the queue as
raw. The type of printer will probably be postscript.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.