[SATLUG] Linux Laptop help!

Caleb Wylie zodex at yahoo.com
Tue May 13 11:30:03 CDT 2003

have you tried to add some additional boot options to
the kernel.. i have read somewhere that some laptops
have funny bioses and advanced power management that
can really freak the kernel out... i know i worked on
a compaq 2100 athlon and had to add some additional
parameters here is a page for you to look at
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/ch-bootopts.html

try some of these it worked for me you have to add
them to lilo or hit escape during the grub boot
screen..... hope it helps

--- Matthew <firestorm-v1 at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> I have two laptops that I am using as a testbed for
> HostAP.
> Unfortunately the hardware is fighting me more than
> the software is! Any
> help that anyone can provide me would be
> appreciated!
>
> I have two laptops that are good 'candidates' for
> the HostAP project:
>
> 1: a Toshiba 410CS with 16 bit PCMCIA. It'll work
> but I'd rather have #2
> running.
> 2: an old IBM 9507 laptop with Cardbus PCMCIA slots.
>

> On the Toshiba 410CS, the HostAP kernel that I made
> dies right after the
> root filesystem is mounted. It tells me the
> following:
>
> EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
>
> and it sits there. Adding 'init 1' yields the same
> results.
>
> If I hit ctrl-alt-del, it says 'flushing ide
> devices: hda' then reboots.
>
> If i load the default shipped 7.3 kernel it  says:
>
> On the IBM however, selecting either kernel causes
> the machine to seize
> and sit there. I don't get the luxury of 'Loading
> <kernel>.......'
>
> I have the same HDD swapped out between the two hard
> drives and the
> kernel  boots to the point of login on my Dell. The
> kernel was compiled
> in i386 compatibility mode although both laptops are
> Pentium class.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>

> FIRESTORM_v1

=====

May the World revolve around your wishes - Caleb Wylie

Don't walk behind me I may not lead: Don't walk in front of me I may not follow: Just walk beside me and be a friend

The only distance you can't calculate is the one between hearts. - Caleb Wylie

" ...It said "Needs Windows 95 or better". So I installed Linux..."

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you will die today!!