[SATLUG] Red Carpet rpm

Julian Peterson weaver at merold.net
Sat May 17 21:39:01 CDT 2003

On Sun, 18 May 2003 1:22 pm NZST, Thomas King wrote:
> I am wanting to try out Ximian's Red Carpet to see how my system reacts
> with it, but their installation instructions don't make enough sense.
>
>    1. Download the Red Carpet packages for Red Hat Linux 9 for x86.
>    2. Use the su command to become root.
>    3. Use your distribution's default software installation tools to
> install as in the example below:
>
> Step 1: there is only one package - the Red Carpet rpm.

maybe they goofed? and forgot the rcd and rc packages?

> Step 3: -U for update? Either using -ivh or -Uvh gives a dependency for
> the RCD package, but this package is no where to be found.

Using -U instead of -i is a good habit to get into.  -U will install the
package if it's not installed already, but it will also replace the old
one if it is.  -i won't remove the old package, and it's rare that you'll
want 2 different versions of anything installed at the same time.

I found RCD here:
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=RCD&submit=Search

and rc too
http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=rc&submit=Search

(probably go for the highest stable version there, and avoid the snapshots
if possible)

> Forgive this newbie such a simple problem, but has anyone had any
> experience with this software and can shed some light on their
> "example"?

I haven't played with red carpet at all, but I hope the above helps.

Julian.

--
You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?
  -- Steven Wright