[SATLUG] Software RAID

Justin Ryan justin at gnubia.net
Mon May 19 12:58:01 CDT 2003

IIRC, it shouldn't require a recompile, but it's a PITA to move an
existing root partition to software raid. RH 7.x and later will set up
software raid on the root partition (and any others) for you.  The
problem with software raid is that if one of the drives dies, you can't
boot until you have replaced it.

FWIW, the xfs filesystem will also do a lot of the magic of software
raid and should be somewhat more reliable.  It can do mirroring and
umpteen flavors of striping (though the root partition can only be
mirrored).

http://www.sgi.com/software/xfs