[SATLUG] Modem on RH7.3

Chris Hudson CHudson at karta.com
Mon May 19 14:18:01 CDT 2003

> What am I missing here - you can't plug your modem into a
> *parallel* port,
> even if you have a cable that matches the pins.

 The modem came with a cable that had serial on one end which plugs into the
modem, and then the other end is a "Y" with two connectors:  serial and
parallel.  I'm using the parallel.

> I have never seen a modem that works off of the parallel
> port. If your bios
> reports using both a parallel port and 2 serial ports, you
> need to have another
> connector for the second serial port somewhere - possibly a connector
> on the motherboard that needs to have a dongle attached?

 I agree with you, I have the feeling that I'm "missing" a serial port.  I
opened the case last night and looked on the motherboard but couldn't find
it.  And like I said, I've only got one serial port on the back (used by the
mouse).  One thing I didn't clarify yesterday, I've actually got TWO
parallel ports on the back, a male and a female.

 -- Chris Hudson

In