[SATLUG] Good news as more publications recognize Linux's role in today's IT world

Geoff/W5OMR w5omr at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Thu May 22 07:27:01 CDT 2003

> Many foreign governments and businesses are starting to give
> Linux a closer look as an alternative to Microsoft for powering
> their servers, according to a recent report from Gartner. The
> impetus, the research firm says, is for foreign governments to
> rely less on Microsoft and more on open source software. The
> idea is also to favor local vendors, thus giving those foreign
> economies a boost.

That's also true in the medical and oil fields, as well.

Setting up booths, displays and exhibits at tradeshows and
conventions, I see lots of computer stuff being used to display the
product.
3 years ago, questions about Linux were returned with 'deer in the
headlight' blank stairs, and "what's Linux?".

Happily, I tell you that today that at least three booths at OTC
(Offshore Technology Conference - Houston) were using Linux servers
for their networks.  At the Medical show that's currently going on,
downtown San Antonio, Linux is running on more servers, that are, in
turn, running heart monitors, and other medically related devices.

I basicaly said all that, to say this - working out in the field, I'm
seeing more and more companies/businesses make the switch to Linux,
and I'm happy to see it, myself.

With what's going on with the SCO/MS crap, I can't help but wonder
that if some lowly 'work-for-a-living' stiff (me) can tell the market
trend, what are the big boys seeing, and how long have they been
seeing it, and where are they going to be, when the majority of
businesses get over the 'hump' , and switch over ?

the howl thing smells of the three P's...

Positioning
Pilfering, and
Pandering.

-Geoff