[SATLUG] Microsoft's FUD attack against Linux?

Robert Pearson rdpears at sortonce.com
Sat May 24 22:46:02 CDT 2003

I am a Unix guy. I have loved Unix since I first worked on it. It is an
OS written by programmers for programmers which means it can be
configured or modified to your needs. This means you can have it
your way.

I am not pushing OS/2. It is now history. It would have been a better
Desktop OS than Windows anything. OS/2 did and still runs almost
all the applications that will run on Windows (and better). The
Apple Mac "OS X" is now the killer OS for the Desktop. We will
have to wait and see if it works for servers. It should. But will it
be better. Better is faster and cheaper.

Yes, one of the fun parts of Unix System Administration is writing
code; from scripts to C to C++ to Java. We better know how to
do this. We have needs the "big buck" vendors are not interested
in doing. Like automating repetitive tasks.

I miss cron and scripting most of all in the PC world. There is a
third party Windows equivalent but it is not as nice as the Unix
one. My favorite and most used Unix command was "rsh". The
Windows equivalent is not equal in function or reliability.

Try putting the BASH shell on Windows. Sometimes it works and
sometimes it is unpredictable. Give me Unix or Linux any day.

What I'm for now is Apple Mac Desktops and Linux blade servers.
What a combination! Blade servers because they are Plug-n-Play.
Apple Mac Desktops because they can turn Unix data into wonderful
pictures without special software or work. Did you ever collect all
that "sar" data and want a quick and easy way to graph it to try and
spot trends quickly? Or how about that SRM (Storage Resource
Manager) information on storage capacity, utilization and trends that
only comes in fancy tabular form? IOSTAT info? Network loading?
The list goes on.

The Apple Mac will do that with ease. I'm beginning to believe
having an Apple Powerbook with a Knoppix CD is better than
having a Windows laptop running Linux with the Knoppix CD.
The Knoppix CD is for machines in trouble. You get them running
with the Knoppix CD and copy the information to the laptop to take
with you. Or you can send it over the network if that will come up.

My second choice is all Linux with the Linux Desktops running
Codeweavers CrossOver office at $54.95 a copy for those who
need it. (www.codeweavers.com)