[SATLUG] OT: ISP Sleuthing

Geoff/W5OMR w5omr at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Sun May 25 14:27:02 CDT 2003

> AOL started doing some new SPAM filtering a month or so ago.  The
first
> thing their MTA server does is a reverse name lookup.  If the
reverse
> name indicates the address is a dynamic IP (like a residential IP),
it
> bounces the mail with an error message.  So, even though I'm on
cable
> modem and have had the same IP for the last eight months -- they
> consider it a dynamic IP based on the reverse name and won't accept
> e-mail.

conversly, there's another way around that.

since I, too, have friends who can't be saved from themself (they
won't give up AOL)
there's a way around the mail problem..

in mailertable, there's a block, and (as you can see) I've edited it
here, and it works, fine.

# send all email for a special host to another host or to a specific
IP:
#host.sub.org           smtp:host.domain.com
#host.sub.org           smtp:[192.168.0.1]
aol.com                 smtp:[smtp-server.satx.rr.com]
wmconnect.com           smtp:[smtp-server.satx.rr.com]

(wmconnect is the Wal*Mart connect thing, that has an aliance with
AOL)

Regards,
-Geoff