[SATLUG] Sound problem with Flash and XMMS

Joshua Davis kd5lsx at earthlink.net
Sat May 31 15:28:05 CDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 16:45, indigotwilight at softhome.net wrote:
> I am totally clueless about how sound works on Linux.  So, maybe this is a
> simple problem or maybe not.
>
> If I go to a website that uses Flash, everything is fine.  Both sound and
> graphics are normal.  However, once I open XMMS and play something, I can
> never hear sound in the Flash animation again.  (I'm not trying to play
> sounds from both at the same time.)  If I close XMMS and Mozilla and reopen
> Mozilla, the sounds in Flash still refuse to play even with XMMS closed.
> The Flash graphics are fine, however.  And XMMS always works normally.
>
> So, why does my sound disappear from Flash once I use XMMS?
>
> System stuff -- RH 8.0, Mozilla 1.3.1, Flash 6.0r79
>
> Mike W.

I've noticed a similar problem, usually when switching from xine to
XMMS. In my case, it has to do with one of the programs not letting go
of /dev/dsp when it's finished. To cure this, open a root console and
type `lsof /dev/dsp'. It should list the process still holding onto
/dev/dsp. Kill that process, and you should be good to go.

Joshua