[SATLUG] OT: PDF to .doc

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Apr 5 23:12:19 CDT 2005

> Wouldn't OpenOffice handle this? If you have more than one document,
> it is scriptable. Something like:
>
> pdf -> ps -> OpenOffice -> doc

No, I'm pretty sure that won't work, but it would be great if it would!
If anyone knows how to make that work please let me know! All you can
get is the ascii representation of the postscript code, or a bitmapped
image of the PDF document, which is not what's wanted. Instead, you
could do this:

pdf2ps my_pdf_doc.pdf
ps2ascii my_pdf_doc.ps > mydoc_in_ascii.txt

The file mydoc_in_ascii.txt can be imported into any wordprocessor,
including Word or OpenOffice. Note: you will lose all formatting except
paragraphs and spaces. At least this is a little better than doing copy
and paste from the acroread program directly.

Adobe may also have some commercial software to do what you want to do,
but I am not aware of any tool that can do this.

If you don't have ps2ascii I can do this for you, just attach your pdf
file.  Hope this helps a little.

-Borries