[SATLUG] What did MS copy?

Mike Wallace mikeaw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 01:01:19 CDT 2005

Another idea of what M$ took from others ... way back in the late 90s,
Microsoft bought HotMail which was running under FreeBSD/Apache and
Solaris.  MS tried a couple of times to convert the machines to NT and
failed.  If memory serves, they finally managed to migrate the FreeBSD
to Windows 2000, but I haven't heard anything with respect to the
Solaris machines.  For all we know, HotMail is still running on
Solaris rather than Windows.  Someone correct me if I'm recalling
something wrong here.

As for something original from MS, there's DOS ... oh, wait, they
bought that for a song.  Well there was Windows ... which was a ripoff
of Macintosh.  But there are a number of smaller programs they
developed... er, got when they bought out their competition.  MS
apparently developed Visual Basic.  No one other than Microsoft would
not only develop a language that retarded but also have their
programmers actually try to do something with it.  MS also gets
accolades for developing Access, one of the crappiest so-called
databases in memory.  For graphics, there's MS Paint!  Now that's a
winner.  The Gimp doesn't have anything on MS Paint.

I could go on, but why?

-Mike

.

.

>     Gimme something WINDOWS is copying from RHL

 any