[SATLUG] nvidia driver permissions?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Tue Apr 26 23:34:24 CDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Weeks" <tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org>
To: "Sean Carolan" <scarolan at gmail.com>; "The San Antonio Linux User's Group
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:11 PM
Subject: Re: [SATLUG] nvidia driver permissions?

> On Tuesday 26 April 2005 22:32, Sean Carolan wrote:
>> I have installed the nvidia binary drivers on my FC3 box.  They work
>> quite nicely with the nvidia graphics card, providing fast frame rates
>> and nice eye candy.
>
> Try seeing if selinux is running:
> # getenforce
> Enforcing
>
> If it is (above) then you need to disable it:
> # setenforce 0
> # getenforce
> Permissive
>
> Then see if it works...
>
> If so.. then disable it perminantly in your /etc/grub.conf by adding the
> "enforcing=0" to the kernel line:
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 norhgb
> acpi=on quiet enforcing=0

The "official" way to disable SELinux is to change the file
/etc/sysconfig/selinux.  I usually just set SELinux to warn me if there is a
security violation but still allow it until I have everything nailed down
right.  Here is my /etc/sysconfig/selinux file (note that SELINUX is set to
"permissive"):

[root at wintermute ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/selinux
# This file controls the state of SELinux on the system.
# SELINUX= can take one of these three values:
#       enforcing - SELinux security policy is enforced.
#       permissive - SELinux prints warnings instead of enforcing.
#       disabled - SELinux is fully disabled.
SELINUX=permissive
# SELINUXTYPE= type of policy in use. Possible values are:
#       targeted - Only targeted network daemons are protected.
#       strict - Full SELinux protection.
SELINUXTYPE=targeted

Hope this helps...

Thomas