[SATLUG] Learn Linux in 10 minutes...

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 00:51:19 CDT 2006

On 7/12/06, Dean McCall <dean.mccall at nvision2020.com> wrote:
> http://freeengineer.org/learnUNIXin10minutes.html  gotta love digg....

I wondered about this. The "Subject" line says:
"Learn Linux in 10 Minutes"

but the URL points to:
"learn UNIX in 10 minutes"

Which is an excellent site. The Unix information looks very good and I love
the wonderful organization. Very to the point.

Turns out there is a "Sams Teach Yourself Linux in 10 Minutes" site:
<<http://library.n0i.net/linux-unix/tutorials/sa-te10/ewtoc.html>>

It is very dated:
(Publisher: Macmillan Computer Publishing)
Author(s): John Ray
ISBN: 0672315246
Publication Date: 02/09/99

Based on this I would probably recommend LFS (Linux From Scratch):
<<http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/>>
for Linux. It will take longer than 10 minutes and is more oriented to the
serious Linux user who wants to build and understand a Linux machine,
but LFS is very good.

Even these lines are blurring. 3 OpenSolaris kernel based *nix and counting...
The Nexenta distro is basically Ubuntu 6/06 on top of the OpenSolaris kernel,
with stuff like ZFS and SMF merged in with the GNU userland.
Thanks, Mark McCoy.
BeleniX is a *NIX distribution that is built using the OpenSolaris
source base. It is currently a live CD but is intended to grow into a
complete distribution that can be installed to hard disk. BeleniX is
developed at the India Engineering Centre of Sun Microsystems in
Bangalore, the silicon capital of India.
SchilliX is an OpenSolaris-based distribution which runs from CD and
can be optionally installed on a hard disk or a USB memory stick.

Help!!!
Do we need *NIX From Scratch? What would the acronym for that be?