[SATLUG] How would you upgrade an 80gb RAID1 array?

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 14:53:47 CDT 2006

We have a two-disk RAID1 mirror setup.  The disks are beginning to
fill up and we'd like to replace them with two 300gb drives instead of
two 80gb drives.  Here are the partitions on one of the identical
drives:

Disk /dev/hde: 80.0 GB, 80000000000 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9726 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device     Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hde1   *           1          13      104391   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/hde2              14        9472    75979417+  fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/hde3            9473        9726     2040255   fd  Linux raid autodetect

Those are boot, swap, and / partitions.  In hindsight, I probably
didn't need to RAID the swap space, but I was rather new to this when
I first set it up.

The question is, what would be the easiest way to upgrade to 300gb
drives without reinstalling the OS?  I was thinking to maybe pull one
of the drives out (after powering off of course), plug in one of the
300 gb drives, partition it and use dd to copy the old boot and root
partitions over, then use mdadm to rebuild back onto the second 300gb
drive.  Anything to be careful / aware of? (We do have backups of all
our data in case of a problem)

thanks

Sean

--