[SATLUG] Serial dial up modem recommendations? PLEASE???

Tom Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sat Dec 1 00:17:30 CST 2007

On Friday 30 November 2007 19:23:07 CHERYL HOLMES wrote:
> Hi.
> I am a total newbie to Linux, running Ubuntu 7.1 (Gutsey Gibbons) on my PC
> and on my Mom's.  I have DSL so I have had no issues at all so for
> connecting to the net.  Mom, on the other hand has...because DSL isn't
> available where she lives and only dial up service is.
>
> I know I need a serial, NON WINMODEM but I can't find any.

> Do any of you
> have any suggestions/recommendations for this type of modem, where I can
> buy one and about how much they cost please?

External serial modems are the way to go (never use an internal) but they
start at like $80-100 and up now (supply and demand..).

The best place to find one for under $20 ($10 probably) is Goodwill Computers
on I410 e.bound service road next to the AT&T store around the Calahagn
intersection.

> Is there a serial linux dial up modem that will
> work right out of the box?

The US Robotics, Motrola, and Zoom serial modems are okay.

Tweeks