[SATLUG] serial modem, Ernest

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 01:26:22 CST 2007

Even some of the "winmodems" have Linux support so it's worth checking
the chipset to see if it is supported. I've had good luck with some of
the Zoom PCI modems too .. they make quite a few hardware modems, but
some of them are softmodems so you need to check the chipset.  Might
have on sitting around here somewhere ..

-Henry

On Nov 30, 2007 7:42 PM, CHERYL HOLMES <cherylholmes at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Hi Ernest..thanks for your help but I know after trying 4 PCI modems and doing a lot of research, they will not work.  Even the ones that say Linux won't.  I was told to get a serial modem.  I see that PCI modems and dial up modems in general are causing people trying to use Ubuntu a lot of grief.  Most articles I've read say dial up is not really supported technically, although experts may be able to get it to work.  I have tried many chipsets w/o success..so now I am looking foir a serial modem.
>
> Mom's PC is a tower like mine, both of us running AMD Thunderbird processors.  Ubuntu works beautifully and effortlessly on dsl with our MB's.  Thank you for your help Ernest!  I just wish she had another option to connect besides dial up.  Sincerely, Cheryl :
>

>      Bumper sticker, "Sure you can trust the government – just ask an Indian!"

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay