[SATLUG] Re: Serial dial up modem recommendations? PLEASE???

Howard Haradon hharadon at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 13:39:33 CST 2007

> Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 11:32:01 -0600
> From: "David Power" <dpower at hal-pc.org>
> Subject: RE: [SATLUG] Serial dial up modem recommendations?  PLEASE???
>        <satlug at satlug.org>
>
> I would highly recommend the usr courier modem.
> This was the pinnacle of modem technology back when we all had to use
> dialup. I had several hundred of these and they gave outstanding
> performance. You can find them used on eBay for 10-30 dollars, new they are
> still around $150 and I think they are worth every penny, if you have to use
> dialup. The 33.6 that were flashed to 56k are all right, Id avoid the older
> one's that had to have hardware upgrade to 56k, they don't have as much
> memory or as fast a cpu.
>
> David

I would recommend a different solution.  With cost of
DSL at $20 per month and the cost of dial-up at $10
per month, the hassle and dissatisfaction of the dial-up
experience are clearly not warranted.  If your mother has
a land-line phone, adding DSL to the line would be the
best solution.

If this is not possible, I have an old serial Motorola 56kb modem
(Voicesurfr) with a digital signal processor in it, but this kind of connection
is limited to just about email only.  If this is your only resort,
contact me off-list about this.
Good luck,  Howard

--
Howard Haradon