[SATLUG] Partition tool for ext3, vfat32 and NTFS

John Chalinder argiod at bresnan.net
Sun Dec 2 01:05:46 CST 2007

I'm a newcomer to Ubuntu, so forgive me if this isn't 'on target' for your
needs. Though it's not a partitioner, per se, I have found that Win4Lin
handles both the ext3 and NTFS partitions well for its purposes. One could
conceivably run it long enough to adjust partitions, then exit. If you're
keeping NTFS partition to run Windows apps, then you could continue and do a
full install of Windows in the created/adjusted NTFS partition.

It's a proprietary package, so costs around $50 US. But I find it to be
superior to any other Windows 'emulator' for Linux. I'll be installing it on
my system as soon as my new copy of Windows XP MCE arrives this coming week.
I'll post a personal review as soon as it's up and running.

Meanwhile, here's the history of Win4Lin, excerpted from Wikipedia:
Win4Lin is a proprietary software application for Linux which allows a user to
run a copy of Microsoft Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000 or XP applications on their
desktop. The system works by acting in a similar way to a virtual machine, in
that it provides an environment for the Windows operating system to run, and
as such one must still have a copy of Windows to use with it.

The Win4Lin application in essence displays a window on a Linux desktop which
contains the Windows desktop environment. As an alternative, the Windows
environment can be run full screen, outside of the desktop environment to save
on desktop real estate.

Win4Lin is designed with business users in mind, and as such, does not support
features such as MIDI, in favor of support for Microsoft Office-style
application compatibility.

Win4Lin was based on Merge which was originally developed to run DOS/Windows
3.1 under UNIX System V Release 2 on an AT&T 6300+ personal computer. That
machine contained an Intel 80286 processor, and AT&T announced availability on
October 9, 1985, referring to the bundled Merge software as SimulTask. Later
Merge was enhanced to make use of the VM86 mode provided by the Intel 80386
processor; that version was offered with Microport SVR3 starting in 1987, and
subsequently with SCO Unix.

Merge was developed by engineers at Locus Computing Corporation, founded by
Gerald J. Popek and others in 1982, which was later taken over by a company
called Platinum Technology. The Merge technology was then bought by a company
called DASCOM which was in turn bought by IBM. A company called TreLOS was
then spun off that continued the development of the virtual machine software
and created Win4Lin. TreLOS and LastFoot.com merged in 2000 to form
NeTraverse, Inc.

In early 2005 the assets of NeTraverse were purchased to form Win4Lin Inc.
which introduced Win4Lin Pro Desktop - this is based on a 'tuned' version of
QEMU, and KQEMU and it hosts NT-versions of Windows. In June 2006, Win4Lin
released Win4Lin Virtual Desktop Server based on the same code base. Win4Lin
Virtual Desktop Server serves Microsoft Windows sessions to thin clients from
a Linux server.

In September 2006, Win4Lin announced a change of the company name to Virtual
Bridges with the release of Win4BSD Pro Desktop, a port of the product to
FreeBSD and PC-BSD. Solaris x86 support followed in May 2007 with the release
of Win4Solaris Pro Desktop and Win4Solaris Virtual Desktop Server.

Win4Lin Pro and Virtual Desktop Server use "full" virtualization, whereas
Win4Lin 9x was an example of paravirtualization.

Win4Lin 9x appears to be have been completely abandoned. It is no longer sold
or supported.
Win4Lin supports more Windows applications than Wine or CrossOver Office, and
has better performance than VMware. It may be a good choice when needed
Windows applications have no acceptable native Linux equivalents and are not
supported by Wine.
Win4Lin Pro products fully support Ubuntu 7.10, according to their web site.
And, here's the US Win4Lin link:
http://www.win4lin.biz/servlet/Detail?no=8

I hope this helps.
Merry Christmas