[SATLUG] XO One Laptop per Child

John Chalinder argiod at bresnan.net
Mon Dec 3 05:22:47 CST 2007

They have extended the 'Give One, Get One' program to Dec 31st in the US and
Canada:

 From now through December 31, 2007, OLPC is offering a Give One Get One
program in the United States and Canada. This is the first time the
revolutionary XO laptop has been made available to the general public. For a
donation of $399, one XO laptop will be sent to empower a child in a
developing nation and one will be sent to the child in your life in
recognition of your contribution. $200 of your donation is tax-deductible
(your $399 donation minus the fair market value of the XO laptop you will be
receiving).

In addition:
  For all U.S. donors who participate in the Give One Get One program,
T-Mobile is offering one year of complimentary HotSpot access. Find out more.

If you participate in Give One Get One today, you will receive your XO
laptop(s) in early 2008. Your donated laptop will reach a child in
Afghanistan, Cambodia, Haiti, Mongolia or Rwanda in the same early 2008
timeframe.

If I had $399 to spare, I'd do it for two reasons:
1) I love the idea of donating a computer to a third world child, even though
I think they could use food, clothing, shelter and medical care more; and,
2) I'd love to see what a $100 computer comes with. It certainly is colorful,
and claims to be fairly rugged and waterproof. I'm sure I could find a child
among my friends who would enjoy a brand new computer.

It appears to have connectivity via wi-fi, which they claim has a much longer
range than a standard laptop. The only specs I can find are on their FAQ page:
http://www.laptopgiving.org/en/faq.php

I'm sure this would not be a system suitable for any use beyond the education
of third world children. "The XO laptop features the Linux operating system
and includes software specifically designed for children and the XO."

They are not designed for everyday use by anyone other than children, and does
not look like it will not be made available to the general public except
through this limited time offer of 'Give One, Get One' program; which is
designed to promote the program. The idea is to get laptops into the hands of
third world children so they may have an affordable means of improving their
education.