[SATLUG] network+ training near san antonio

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Mon Dec 3 12:19:27 CST 2007

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Leif Johnson wrote:
>
>> I did a few Skillpath / Compumaster classes. Not too bad, but kind of
>> costly. Anyone interested in teaching a full day of IPTABLES training in
>> SA in April? Boy could I use that!
>>

> iptables is not that hard.  Ultimately, it comes down to doing one of
> three things with a packet: ACCEPT, REJECT, or DROP and the use of
> REJECT is rare.  The real issue is knowing what to drop and what to accept.
>
> You do also have to have a fairly good knowledge of the internet
> protocols at the link, ip, and tcp layers to match the packets you
> decide to ACCEPT or DROP.  Probably 90% of the time you only need to
> know -s, -d, and -p (source IP, destination IP, and protocol).
>
> There are other things too like masquerading/address translation or
> accounting/logging, but those issues are not that common.  Simple
> masquerading is a one liner.
>
> There are some good tutorials at
> http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/index.html#documentation-howto

Thanks Bruce gives me 'hope'.
I am sure struggling with the concept of the tables. I have three
browser windows open with 4-6tabs in each all dealing with Linux, Ubuntu
in particular, not limited to the IP tables and i just found this link:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/gip-ip-calculator-for-gnome-desktop-environment.html

I not sharp enough to even know if it is a valuable 'gismo' or not, lol.
would appreciate comments on the use of.
herb