[SATLUG] Maybe- OT... The future and IPv6

Aaron Hackney aaron at aaronhackney.com
Mon Dec 3 16:53:23 CST 2007

This has been addressed by the IPv6 RFC's (I think....)

"Because of certain privacy and security concerns, the implementation of
autoconfiguration by a host may also create a random interface
identifier using the MAC address as a base. This is considered a privacy
extension because, without it, creating an interface identifier from a
MAC address provides the ability to track the activity and point of
connection."

So, the way I read this, is that using an algoithm and the MAC of a nic
as a seed, a unique, short-lived IPv6 address is created without the
actual MAC address embedded in the IPv6 Address. XP does this by default
(Again, I believe). Not sure about Linux implementations of IPv6.

-A