[SATLUG] Maybe- OT... The future and IPv6

Hector Bojorquez hector.bojorquez at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 17:41:10 CST 2007

wow... that's really interesting.
short lived IPv6 address?
How short lived would that be-- and then does that mean that--
theoretically-- that IPs could get duplicated.
A random seed doesn't guarantee that an IP adress couldn't be duplicated--
Person A in Mexico could get an IP and then someone in china could also get
the same one (theoretically... chances are small seeing the nature or random
seeds, MAC addresses and the large number of IPs available).

This is really interesting (or I'm a great big dork) but how are networks
going to be defined with IPv6
Will Company A just buy a range of IPs?

Where do I learn?!!
IP6!!!

"So, the way I read this, is that using an algoithm and the MAC of a nic
as a seed, a unique, short-lived IPv6 address is created without the
actual MAC address embedded in the IPv6 Address."