[SATLUG] Maybe- OT... The future and IPv6

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 17:47:47 CST 2007

You still have network boundaries like in IPv4, except they are a lot larger
(small allocation is a /48?).  You would only have to worry about duplicates
within the network block, and that should not be too hard if there is a
unique seed for each IP address.  This may be similar to how VMware
generates hardware addresses for virtual NICs based on a real physical
address without causing collisions.

-Henry

On Dec 3, 2007 5:41 PM, Hector Bojorquez <hector.bojorquez at gmail.com> wrote:

> wow... that's really interesting.
> short lived IPv6 address?
> How short lived would that be-- and then does that mean that--
> theoretically-- that IPs could get duplicated.
> A random seed doesn't guarantee that an IP adress couldn't be duplicated--
> Person A in Mexico could get an IP and then someone in china could also
> get
> the same one (theoretically... chances are small seeing the nature or
> random
> seeds, MAC addresses and the large number of IPs available).
>
> This is really interesting (or I'm a great big dork) but how are networks
> going to be defined with IPv6
> Will Company A just buy a range of IPs?
>
> Where do I learn?!!
> IP6!!!
>
> "So, the way I read this, is that using an algoithm and the MAC of a nic
> as a seed, a unique, short-lived IPv6 address is created without the
> actual MAC address embedded in the IPv6 Address."
>
> On Dec 3, 2007 4:55 PM, Aaron Hackney <aaron at aaronhackney.com> wrote:
>
> > Oh ya, it was in the RFC - RFC 3041. I am very green in the IPv6 arena
> > myself and just coming up to speed on it...
> > -A
> >

> > Hector Bojorquez wrote:
> > > Just a question...
> > >
> > > Do you think eventual implementation of IPv6 will be a privacy killer
> on
> > the
> > > Internet?
> > >
> > > I don't know enough about it but it strikes me that we could head doen
> > the
> > > path of having folks having IPs issued almost as licenses.
> > >
> > > I see good things and bad things ... but I may not understand it
> enough
> > >
> > > any thoughts?
> > >
> >  --

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it" - Alan Kay