[SATLUG] network+ training near san antonio

Ed etillman93 at peoplepc.com
Mon Dec 3 19:36:57 CST 2007

herb cee wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Leif Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> I did a few Skillpath / Compumaster classes. Not too bad, but kind of
>>> costly. Anyone interested in teaching a full day of IPTABLES
>>> training in
>>> SA in April? Boy could I use that!
>>>

>> iptables is not that hard.  Ultimately, it comes down to doing one of
>> three things with a packet: ACCEPT, REJECT, or DROP and the use of
>> REJECT is rare.  The real issue is knowing what to drop and what to
>> accept.
>>
>> You do also have to have a fairly good knowledge of the internet
>> protocols at the link, ip, and tcp layers to match the packets you
>> decide to ACCEPT or DROP.  Probably 90% of the time you only need to
>> know -s, -d, and -p (source IP, destination IP, and protocol).
>>
>> There are other things too like masquerading/address translation or
>> accounting/logging, but those issues are not that common.  Simple
>> masquerading is a one liner.
>>
>> There are some good tutorials at
>> http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/index.html#documentation-howto
>>

> Thanks Bruce gives me 'hope'.
> I am sure struggling with the concept of the tables. I have three
> browser hewindows open with 4-6tabs in each all dealing with Linux,
> Ubuntu in particular, not limited to the IP tables and i just found
> this link:
> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/gip-ip-calculator-for-gnome-desktop-environment.html
>

> I not sharp enough to even know if it is a valuable 'gismo' or not,
> lol. would appreciate comments on the use of.
> herb
IP tables help you determine what/who you want to receive into or block
from your system.  They don't mean much to common folk unless you're
running a personal firewall and want to block certain entities from
accessing or exiting your system.

Linux systems aren't too prone to the problem, but Windoze is rife with
it. If you have any doubts about whether to block an IP address, first,
do a "whois" and find out where they're coming from.  Then, do a Google
on your results and determine whether accepting or dropping fits your needs.

As for the original subject, Network+ training in San Antonio, have your
friend call Palo Alto College, Corporate and Community Education
Department.  We're offering both A+ and Network+ courses right after the
first of the year.

Cheers;

Ed Tillman

Instructor, I/T Corporate and Community Education

Palo Alto College, ACCD, San Antonio, TX

CompTIA Network+, A+ Certified; IT Pro Mentor

TIA/EIA HTI Instructor Certified