[SATLUG] Change block device?

Sean I siffland at nerdshack.com
Thu Dec 6 17:34:18 CST 2007

Use some udev rule like

KERNEL="dm-[0-9]*", PROGRAM="scsi_id -g -u -s /block/sda", RESULT="?*",
NAME="%k", NAME="mpath/%c"

in a udev rule, and build you pv's agains /dev/mpath/${device}.  Or you can
install device-mapper-multipath (multipath-tools), that is where I stole the
rule from.  I just setup our linux blades and hooked them up to our EVA and
XP1024 and the multipath package was a big help even on the XP where
multipathing does not work correctly the rules at least give a consistant
names to build the Physical Volumes against to prevent this from happening.

Sean