[SATLUG] Default Red Hat firewall/daemon settings secure?

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 10:47:43 CST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007 10:40 AM, Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:
> mDNS as well as Avahi are new daemons that auto config most networks
> now. For instance, with Avahi you can browse VNC servers, printers,
> etc.. Its the Linux version of "Rendezvous" from Apple. We use mDNS
> with the Access Grid to autoconfigure which Unicast bridge is closest.

Thanks Jeremy, I was just curious as to why that was added in the
firewall rules by system-config-securitylevel without any indication
to the end-user.  Same goes for CUPS (631) and IPSec (ports 50 and
51).  Why not just add those options to the GUI and let the user
decide for themselves if they want those ports open?