[SATLUG] Wireless Card Troubles

Matt Kinsel mkinsel at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 13:55:38 CST 2007

Hey y'all,

I've got a Netgear wireless card that I'm using with my Fedora Core 6
laptop. I set it up a while back (with some help from the LUG, i think)
according to this post on my blog:
http://mkinsel.wordpress.com/2007/03/18/ndiswrapper/

Well, I turned my computer on this morning, and my wireless connection was
gone. Everything was fine last night, all normal, when I shut the comp off.
Yum probably updated something, though, at some point yesterday, and now I
can't connect to the net.

I run the card under ndiswrapper. ndiswrapper seems to be OK because
'ndiswrapper -l' returns:

wg511v2: driver installed
      device (11AB:1FAA) present

lspci also recognizes the card. However, if I try 'ifconfig wlan0 up', I
get: "wlan0: unknown interface: No such device"

According to my instructions on my blog, I should run 'depmod -a' after
setting up ndiswrapper. 'depmod -a' returns no errors, but if I try
'modprobe ndiswrapper' after that, I get:

FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found

Running 'ndiswrapper -m' returns: "module configuration already contains
alias directive"
Also, /etc/modprobe.conf has this line at the top of the file: alias wlan0
ndiswrapper

Well I'm stumped. Could y'all give me a hand?

Thanks a bunch,
mk