[SATLUG] MAC Address Spoofing

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 15:56:49 CST 2007

Kase Saylor wrote:
> I have an interesting problem. I would like to send out a bunch of UDP
> messages with spoofed IP addresses, but also with spoofed MAC addresses.
> I need to fool a switch into thinking that it is receiving a bunch of
> messages from a lot of machines (but without using a lot of machines).
> Anybody have any ideas on how to do this? Will I have to modify the NIC
> driver? Or perhaps there's somewhere else I can make this happen? Thanks
> for any help.

man ifconfig

       hw class address
    Set the hardware address of this interface, if the device driver
supports this operation.  The keyword must be followed by the name of
the hardware class and the printable ASCII equivalent of the hardware
address.  Hardware classes currently supported include ether
(Ethernet),  ax25 (AMPR  AX.25), ARCnet and netrom (AMPR NET/ROM).

example

ifconfig hw ether 11:00:50:56:C0:01

Disclaimer:  I haven't tried this.

  -- Bruce