[SATLUG] MAC Address Spoofing

Kase Saylor h_oudini at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 16:10:10 CST 2007

phn1x wrote:
> What exactly is the purpose of this exercise
>
> On Dec 10, 2007 3:44 PM, Kase Saylor  wrote:
>

>> I have an interesting problem. I would like to send out a bunch of UDP
>> messages with spoofed IP addresses, but also with spoofed MAC addresses.
>> I need to fool a switch into thinking that it is receiving a bunch of
>> messages from a lot of machines (but without using a lot of machines).
>> Anybody have any ideas on how to do this? Will I have to modify the NIC
>> driver? Or perhaps there's somewhere else I can make this happen? Thanks
>> for any help.
>>
>> -Kase

This has nothing to do with spamming. I'm trying to test some switches
that seem to have problems when a large number of devices are connected
to them. I don't have a lot of devices to connect to the switches, so I
need to setup a test environment that simulates a large number of
devices. I cannot just modify the switches as they are what I need to
test. The switch filters by MAC address, so I have to "spoof" the MAC
address. I know this sounds a bit shady, but I promise my request is for
legitimate purposes.

-Kase