[SATLUG] MAC Address Spoofing

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Dec 10 19:05:34 CST 2007

On 12/10/07, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

>>  I saw this, but I need to change the MAC address many times in a short
>>  amount of time so that the switch thinks that it is receiving a lot of
>>  messages from a lot of devices. (I apologize for phrases like "a lot",
>>  "a short amount of time", but I don't know exactly what I need yet).
>
>  Why can't you write a bash script to do it as many times as you need?

I get the impression that the OP needs to generate hundreds of
thousands or millions of different MAC addresses in just a few
seconds in order to completely overflow the MAC address tables on the
switch, and I don't think a bash script is going to be able to
operate quickly enough.

But if you could get a moderate number of clients all running the
same script and randomly choosing MAC addresses, you might be able to
parallelize the work enough that it would be sufficient.  But only
the OP can tell for sure.