[SATLUG] Did anyone else get this email?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Dec 10 19:52:24 CST 2007

On 12/10/07, Chris Lemire wrote:

>  Did anyone else get a similar email? I'm just wondering how these people
>  are getting my email, and I think it may be from this mailing list.

There was a somewhat similar job posting made to the SAGE-jobs list,
the public details being:

	Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 06:56:30 -0800 (PST)
	Title: Senior Systems Administrator
	Company: Hedge Fund
	Location: New York, New York
	SAGE Level: III (Intermediate/Advanced)
	Job type: Permanent
	Salary: $110,000-$150,000
	Job Email: recruiter at hutchinhill.com

And I've seen a job posted from CyberCoders about supporting a
financial trading environment for asian customers (see
<http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?op=302&dockey=xml/0/d/0de941195d1cbe74adb6979099a2c1aa@endecaindex&source=19&FREE_TEXT=trading+unix&rating=99>,
a.k.a., <http://preview.tinyurl.com/22npdc>).

But I haven't seen anything quite like the one you posted.

>   Mark Thatcher | Consultant

I don't know which Mark Thatcher this is, but the son of the former
Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher has had more than a few run-ins with
the law and various shady financial dealings.  Most recently, he
apparently seems to have taken up official residence on the island of
Gibraltar, because he got kicked out of Monaco as a result of his
conviction in South Africa for trying to overthrow a government in
conjunction with an oil company.

He might actually be listing himself as a consultant these days, but
I'm not sure I'd want to be doing business with him even if
everything else was actually legitimate.

>Kings House | 36 King Street | London | EC2V 8BB
>t. +44 (0) 207 7100280
>m. +44 (0) 7951 473626

This address does seem to be the home of ICBC (Industrial and
Commercial Bank of China, see
<http://www.icbclondon.com/aboutus/limited_registered.html> and
<http://www.icbclondon.com/aboutus/global.html>), but the phone
number appears to be wrong.  It also appears to be formatted
incorrectly.

Looking up the phone number at <http://www.ukphoneinfo.com>, the
geographical area served by this phone number does not seem to match
the street address given (EC4 for the real street address & postal
code given for ICBC vs. SW1 for the claimed phone number for Mark
Thatcher).

Looking at the ICBC web site, they do not currently have any job
openings available (see <http://www.icbclondon.com/jobs/job.html>).
Moreover, you'd almost certainly already have to be able to work in
the UK in order to be employed by them, otherwise unless your name is
Linus Torvalds then they'd probably just find someone local.