[SATLUG] Client TOS Notification - scomp@aol.net?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Dec 11 12:33:51 CST 2007

On 12/11/07, Sean Carolan wrote:

>  Maybe Brad or someone else on this list can help me, because AOL's
>  phone support is less than useless.  I've been getting several dozen
>  messages a day from scomp at aol.net, always with the same subject line
>  "Client TOS Notification".  There is no message in the body of the
>  mail, and it has the original message sent from our application
>  attached.

It sounds like you're probably signed up for their "Feedback Loop"
service, see <http://postmaster.aol.com/fbl/fblinfo.html> and
<http://postmaster.aol.com/fbl/arfinfo.html>.

See also
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spamassassin-users/200512.mbox/%3C438FB829.2080108@sterndata.com%3E>
and
<http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spamassassin-users/200512.mbox/%3C20051202030711.6BD6F590025@radish.jmason.org%3E>,
if you run SpamAssassin.

>  I'm guessing it has to do with some kind of spam/blocklist but they
>  can't seem to find any of our mailserver IP addresses on their block
>  lists.  If anyone has some insight I'd appreciate it.  I think I liked
>  AOL a lot better when it was a walled garden separate from the rest of
>  the Internet!  :)

They've done more than their fair share of stupid stuff, and I've
ragged on them as hard or harder than anyone else I know of.  But
this is one particular service where I think they've actually gotten
it at least mostly right.

One thing they really need to do is to make the "Report as Spam"
button either much smaller and harder to hit (like, not the same size
and right next to the "Delete" button), or they need to add an
additional level of "Are You Sure?" type checking before it lets
users actually report a message as being spam.