[SATLUG] Client TOS Notification - scomp@aol.net?

John Chalinder argiod at bresnan.net
Tue Dec 11 12:48:36 CST 2007

Back when AOL was in its infancy I set up a dial-up acct with them.

After a couple months I decided I couldn't afford both their monthly fee and
the long distance fees to connect. So, I got on line and closed the account.
Or, so I though.

In fact, the account was no longer accesable to me online; however, they
continued to draw the $25/mo out of my bank account.

I sent them emails, which never got answered. I phoned them on numerous
occasions, and nobody ever answered; and on the occasions I persisted, after a
couple tries, I got a busy signal.

I finally went to my bank and asked if they could stop the automatic
withdrawals, and they told me they could only shut it off if they got a note
from AOL saying the account was closed. So, my last resort was to close my
bank account.

So, in my personal opinion, AOL are a bunch of thieves and scoundrels. I feel
a deep empathy with anyone who has problems with them and their 'service'. My
usual recommendation to anyone who has problems with AOL is to switch
providers.