[SATLUG] vid card recommendation

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Thu Dec 13 11:27:52 CST 2007

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:03:44 -0800 (PST), Alex Bartonek
<bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I do want to play Windows based games.  I guess the
> max I want to spend is $60 on a vid card.

I hate to tell you but $60 won't get you much else than the ability to play
games that were current 3 years or more ago. To get decent performance on
more recent games, but little hope of being current a year from now, you
can get away with maybe $150 or $200. The nvidia 8800GT 256MB is about the
best you're going to do if you can find one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130314

That one is about $215, but out of stock at the moment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130085

For about $100, you can get an 8600GT, but you'll likely find yourself
looking for another card as the next generation of games come out over the
next year.

So my recommendation is to decide how much you want to game and what games
you want to play and balance that with your budget. If you have no more
than $60 to spend, then you'll have to sacrifice on your gaming for a while
until you can afford something better. My suggestion is to go to
tomshardware.com and look at their benchmarks to see what you can expect
with the cards available. When you're looking at those benchmarks, keep in
mind that 30 frames per second is the minimum necessary for smooth video.
That should help you make a decision.

Daniel