[SATLUG] vid card recommendation

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Thu Dec 13 11:34:36 CST 2007

<180590.17452.qm at web55611.mail.re4.yahoo.com> <277020fc0712130922j178262c8vef6177fc3f8bcf2e at mail.gmail.com>

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:22:22 -0600, "Sean Carolan" <scarolan at gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Dec 13, 2007 11:10 AM, Alex Bartonek <bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>> OMG!! what has this world come to??? $500 video
>> cards??!??!  thats some hardcore stuff.
>
> $500?  You'll need $1800 to run crysis on "high" settings:

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/?menu=browser&mode=article&article_id=624620&entity_id=-1&image_id=747469&page=1

You can run crysis on extreme (DX10 mode) with a couple of 8800GTX's. It
may bog down in some spots, but it's certainly playable from what I've
read. I have two 8800GTS's and play it with custom settings between medium
and high (DX9) at 1680x1050 with no noticeable chop during any part of the
game.

ET:QW runs very nicely on that card, even in Linux without SLI. I wish
nvidia would get their act together and get SLI working properly in Linux.
It's sad when the performance with SLI enabled is less than that of a
single card.