[SATLUG] vid card recommendation

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 13:20:41 CST 2007

I understand exactly where you are coming from Alex.  I gave up serious PC
gaming a while back when the 360 first came out.  I got tired of spending so
much money on 'upgrades' to play the latest and greatest.  The only games I
play on PC now are very old games or MMORPGs like Guild Wars.  Neither
require serious graphics horsepower.  Everything else I play on the 360.  At
least with the 360, I am guaranteed that every game I buy from launch to end
of life will play on the same hardware.  I loathe the day when console
manufacturers start 'allowing' you to 'upgrade' your console.  That will put
me back in the same old spiral.  If that every happens, I am buying a Wii
and never looking back.  If your PC gaming needs are modest, as I assume
(from your posts) they are, then just get a lower end NVidia like an 8600 or
8700 series or even a higher end 7900 series from a generation ago.  That
should suit you fine.  I run a 7950 GT that i picked up cheap on ebay.  It
runs like a champ.

Ernest

On Dec 13, 2007 11:07 AM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Alex Bartonek wrote:
> > I ordered a barebones system consisting of:
> >
> > Intel Core2Duo E6750 2.66ghz
> > 2 gig DDR2-800mhz ram
> > 500 gig hd
> > no vid card
> > 22" LCD monitor
> >

> > I am going to dual boot into XP and want a PCIe gfx
> > card that is cheap and good but most importantly
> > *works under SuSE 10.x & Ubuntu*.
>
> One thing to keep in mind is the power requirement.  Some video cards
> need a lot of power.  You need to know how much you new power supply
> will provide and keep that in mind when buying a video card.
>
>  -- Bruce

Join the Ron Paul Revolution
http://www.prezronpaul.com
Ron Paul for President