[SATLUG] Fwd: Great UNIX Systems Support Job in Austin, TX

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Dec 14 11:53:08 CST 2007

I'm already in the Rackspace system (talk to Erin) and they seem to be
going slowly through the motions of interviewing me.

Most recently, they did a phone interview and had me pull up a web
page containing basic commands and asked what each of them would do,
sprinkled with questions like "tell me what happens when a user types
an URL into their browser and then hits return."

If I had just one or two years experience using Unix or Unix-like
OSes, these might be difficult questions to answer. With eighteen
years experience administering Unix and Unix-like OSes, they're also
hard to answer because I don't know how much depth to go into before I
make the brains of the other people explode, and with all the
different platforms I've worked on I may not remember all the platform-
specific things they might be looking for. I may also disagree with
the premise for the question, so I have to try to figure out what the
answer is supposed to be for the inappropriately worded question.

--
Brad Knowles <brad at shub-Internet.org>

Sent from my iPhone