[SATLUG] Wifi card recommendation

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sat Dec 15 07:23:10 CST 2007

riugakusei at aim.com wrote:
> i tried on on both Fedora Core 8
Just wanted to let you know, Fedora has dropped Core from its name. It's
just Fedora 8 now.

On my old laptop, I installed an Ralink rt61 based card and it works out
of the box in Ubuntu. WPA support is such that it is configured
differently than most other cards. Nonetheless, it does work without
needing additional software installed.

I would rather get something that worked out of the box than an Atheros
based card. The binary HAL madwifi depends on isn't free, so most
distros won't include it by default. The prism based cards have pretty
good support. For laptops, the Intel wireless chipsets are great.