[SATLUG] OT Monitor format 4:3 or 16:9?

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Dec 15 10:04:23 CST 2007

> Hi to All,  I have acquired the Everex Go PC, and
> my wife will not allow deployment of my old 21" Nokia
> monitor downstairs.  This means getting a new
> LCD with either the 1600x1200 or the 1680x1050
> format.  Any experience with the new widescreen
> that would sway you one way or the other?
>
> I have looked at the open chrome driver for this
> Via chipset and it seems to support either.

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you look at a lot of documents
or program, the additional vertical screenspace of the 1600x1200 would be
preferred, so you don;t need to scroll so much. If you mostly want to watch
widescreen movies, go for the 1680x1050 format. I personally prefer the
additional real estate in the 1600x1200. If I wanted more horizontal space,
I'd get two monitors and put them next to eachother.

-b.