[SATLUG] Wifi card recommendation

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sat Dec 15 15:29:45 CST 2007

Just add http://madwifi.org/suse/10.3 to the repos, and you can use yast to
install the madwifi drivers.  I always add several repos during the install
by checking the install additional repos box.  It is a little tricky when
going though the DVD install, as (IIRC) you have to enable the network
manually.  Obviously, you cannout install via Madwifi devices as it is not
distributed on the media, but post install with the repo is no problem.

<rant>
It is really annoying that WiFi is a continual discussion on LUGs.  Just an
indication that many vendors do not support Linux efforts (minus Atheros and
Intel).  Not just the vendors are to blame, since many in the FOSS community
will not just accept proprietary device drivers.  One must pick your
battles, and binary device drivers is not that battle, IMHO.  Open standards
for Communications Protocols, data storage formats, and the like are MUCH
more important, since devices change, but needing your data does not.
</rant>

John