[SATLUG] forcing a refresh rate

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sat Dec 15 15:38:26 CST 2007

On Dec 15, 2007 2:14 PM, Alex Bartonek <bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well I took the envision 22" and got a Acer 22" w/DVI
> inputs... My default I've setup is 1680x1050 at 63hz..
> How can I force 60hz in my xorg.conf?
>
> My 1680x1050 modeline is as follows:

<SNIP>

> My monitor definition:
> Section "Monitor"

<SNIP>

> EndSection

<Rant>
Here is another one.  To make Linux Desktops (especially Laptops) feasible,
display configuration cannot be about hand editing a config file (though the
option needs to exist).  Again comes the FOSS types that will not accept the
requirement for binary drivers with proprietary interfaces, and just build a
modular display architecture that works WITH the vendors in order to make
this situation go away.  The cooperation, rather than the animosity, would
help a great deal.

This problem does not limit itself to X and WiFi.  Look at scanners,
printers, sound cards, bluetooth, modems, etc.  Each of those has differing
levels of support, but the problem remains the same.
</rant>

John