[SATLUG] forcing a refresh rate

John Chalinder argiod at bresnan.net
Sat Dec 15 20:16:41 CST 2007

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:38:26 -0600
  "John Pappas" <j at jvpappas.net> wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2007 2:14 PM, Alex Bartonek <bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Well I took the envision 22" and got a Acer 22" w/DVI
>> inputs... My default I've setup is 1680x1050 at 63hz..
>> How can I force 60hz in my xorg.conf?
>>
>> My 1680x1050 modeline is as follows:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> My monitor definition:
>> Section "Monitor"
>>
> <SNIP>
>
>> EndSection
>

> <Rant>
> Here is another one.  To make Linux Desktops (especially Laptops) feasible,
> display configuration cannot be about hand editing a config file (though the
> option needs to exist).  Again comes the FOSS types that will not accept the
> requirement for binary drivers with proprietary interfaces, and just build a
> modular display architecture that works WITH the vendors in order to make
> this situation go away.  The cooperation, rather than the animosity, would
> help a great deal.
>
> This problem does not limit itself to X and WiFi.  Look at scanners,
> printers, sound cards, bluetooth, modems, etc.  Each of those has differing
> levels of support, but the problem remains the same.
> </rant>
>
> John
> --

<Rant reply:>

Cooperation instead of competition? How totally unAmerican, John. (humor
alert: this is a joke; this is only a joke; had there been a real humor
emergency in your area...) I have to agree with you. It would be encouraging
to see more cooperation between manufacturers instead of these incessant
proprietary wars. Every time I see the term 'proprietary' I start looking
around for alternatives. This sort of attitude may stimulate business; but it
sure doesn't do much for us poor consumers...

</Rant reply>