[SATLUG] forcing a refresh rate

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 13:10:24 CST 2007

On Dec 15, 2007 8:16 PM, John Chalinder <argiod at bresnan.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:38:26 -0600
>   "John Pappas" <j at jvpappas.net> wrote:
> > On Dec 15, 2007 2:14 PM, Alex Bartonek <bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Well I took the envision 22" and got a Acer 22" w/DVI
> >> inputs... My default I've setup is 1680x1050 at 63hz..
> >> How can I force 60hz in my xorg.conf?
> >>
> >> My 1680x1050 modeline is as follows:
> >
> > <SNIP>
> >
> >> My monitor definition:
> >> Section "Monitor"
> >>
> > <SNIP>
> >
> >> EndSection
> >

> > <Rant>
> > Here is another one.  To make Linux Desktops (especially Laptops) feasible,
> > display configuration cannot be about hand editing a config file (though the
> > option needs to exist).  Again comes the FOSS types that will not accept the
> > requirement for binary drivers with proprietary interfaces, and just build a
> > modular display architecture that works WITH the vendors in order to make
> > this situation go away.  The cooperation, rather than the animosity, would
> > help a great deal.
> >
> > This problem does not limit itself to X and WiFi.  Look at scanners,
> > printers, sound cards, bluetooth, modems, etc.  Each of those has differing
> > levels of support, but the problem remains the same.
> > </rant>
> >
> > John
> > --
>
> <Rant reply:>
>
> Cooperation instead of competition? How totally unAmerican, John. (humor
> alert: this is a joke; this is only a joke; had there been a real humor
> emergency in your area...) I have to agree with you. It would be encouraging
> to see more cooperation between manufacturers instead of these incessant
> proprietary wars. Every time I see the term 'proprietary' I start looking
> around for alternatives. This sort of attitude may stimulate business; but it
> sure doesn't do much for us poor consumers...
>
> </Rant reply>
> --

Storage is having the same story. People are getting tired of waiting
on vendors for solutions.
Mike Linett of Zerowait gives his thoughts on using ZFS layered over NetApp.

"Customers creating solutions that Vendors might not like"
http://zerowait.blogspot.com/2007/12/customers-creating-solutions-that.html

[Source article]
"Users at Storage Decisions hone disaster recovery plans"
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid5_gci1285009,00.html