[SATLUG] forcing a refresh rate

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Sun Dec 16 13:20:40 CST 2007

On Dec 15, 2007 9:23 PM, Alan Lesmerises <alesmerises at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> Actually, I took the issue to be a lack of cooperation between the FOSS
> diehards and the hardware manufacturers, rather than between different
> manufacturers.

Exactly, I dont care if there are 17 different Video cards, each from a
different vendor, and each with its own proprietary, binary only,
non-distributable driver, as long as the the driver developers have a
universally available, open API or framework to build the driver.  That way
proprietary drivers and OSS drivers can peacefully coexist, and thus users
can CHOOSE which to use, without the current need to compromise (ie Want 3d,
have to give up Hibernate)

> But since Linux is open-source, why doesn't someone (or some group)
> start an effort to define a standard for a modular display architecture,
> and just say the heck with the naysayers that oppose the use of
> proprietary drivers.  Isn't that one of the biggest benefits of having
> an open source operating system?

Agree 100%.