[SATLUG] Request discussion of the automatic updating of a distro

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Sun Dec 16 19:22:56 CST 2007

I wish to make a personal comment first .. I read every post on this
list and it is the prime source for my basic education of things Linux.
Needless to say I am unable to follow many of your discussions because
you speak in command shorthand, not criticizing just reporting as a
newbie trying to digest the incredible mass of data in constant flux.

I am often confused because the solutions to problems and the How-to's
generally involve the use of the CLI when I am coming from many years of
Windows use and am only able to use Linux with GUI. I now somewhat
understand the use of the Terminal and am not quite so terrified to hit
the enter key after pasting in or typing a command. My Ubuntu install
has been in constant use now for several months without any failure. I
am currently studying  with off-list assistance from a Satlug member how
networks work and how to administer them safely.

So I am making progress and am grateful to all of you that make this
list. Since every few days I am offered updates to Ubuntu and I read the
brief tag description. Most of the time I have no idea what this will do
nor any clue to some side effect that could even render my working rig
unusable. I have always allowed these updates and have not had a problem
that I am aware of. I started with FC-6 changed to Ubuntu 5.xx, then
6.10, then 7.04 where I am now. I have 7.10 installed on another box
along with SuSe 10.2. But this box contains all my work from the months
of running and has always had the 7.04 so I have held off on upgrading
to 7.10 until I have the LAN working and all my files backed up .

.... Ubuntu says: Quick and easy updates. The task bar contains an
update area where we'll notify you when there are updates available for
your system, from simple security fixes to a complete version upgrade.
The update facility enables you to keep your system up-to-date with just
a few clicks of your mouse. .....

I would be thrilled if you experienced users would discuss how to
appraise the constant flow of updates. What your feelings are about this
feature and how you use it.

Thanks Herb