[SATLUG] Request discussion of the automatic updating of a distro

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 20:45:37 CST 2007

Having used Ubuntu since it's release, I can tell you that the updates are
pretty safe and well tested.  Only once in the entire history of Ubuntu has
an update gone wrong, and that was one for xorg.  That one rendered my GUI
inoperable, but they quickly released a patch, and a few CLI strokes later,
I was golden.  Note also that the update only crashed X if you rebooted.
Most people do not reboot unless there is a kernel upgrade, but the upgrade
was on my laptop, and naturally I shut it down after every use.  That was
one isolated incident that didn't affect too many people from what I heard.
Other than that, every upgrade has been flawless.  I would continue to use
Ubuntu's built in update tool unless something changes in the future that
makes you or I doubt their quality.

Ernest

On Dec 16, 2007 5:22 PM, herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:

> I wish to make a personal comment first .. I read every post on this
> list and it is the prime source for my basic education of things Linux.
> Needless to say I am unable to follow many of your discussions because
> you speak in command shorthand, not criticizing just reporting as a
> newbie trying to digest the incredible mass of data in constant flux.
>
> I am often confused because the solutions to problems and the How-to's
> generally involve the use of the CLI when I am coming from many years of
> Windows use and am only able to use Linux with GUI. I now somewhat
> understand the use of the Terminal and am not quite so terrified to hit
> the enter key after pasting in or typing a command. My Ubuntu install
> has been in constant use now for several months without any failure. I
> am currently studying  with off-list assistance from a Satlug member how
> networks work and how to administer them safely.
>
> So I am making progress and am grateful to all of you that make this
> list. Since every few days I am offered updates to Ubuntu and I read the
> brief tag description. Most of the time I have no idea what this will do
> nor any clue to some side effect that could even render my working rig
> unusable. I have always allowed these updates and have not had a problem
> that I am aware of. I started with FC-6 changed to Ubuntu 5.xx, then
> 6.10, then 7.04 where I am now. I have 7.10 installed on another box
> along with SuSe 10.2. But this box contains all my work from the months
> of running and has always had the 7.04 so I have held off on upgrading
> to 7.10 until I have the LAN working and all my files backed up .
>
> .... Ubuntu says: Quick and easy updates. The task bar contains an
> update area where we'll notify you when there are updates available for
> your system, from simple security fixes to a complete version upgrade.
> The update facility enables you to keep your system up-to-date with just
> a few clicks of your mouse. .....
>
> I would be thrilled if you experienced users would discuss how to
> appraise the constant flow of updates. What your feelings are about this
> feature and how you use it.
>
> Thanks Herb

Join the Ron Paul Revolution
http://www.prezronpaul.com