[SATLUG] Request discussion of the automatic updating of a distro

Ernest De Leon edeleonjr at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 21:45:59 CST 2007

Kernel updates occur separately from version updates, so it is possible for
you to get several kernel updates inbetween the Ubuntu revs.  Just keep an
eye out for kernel updates in the list of updates presented to you within
the update tool.

Ernest

On Dec 16, 2007 7:36 PM, herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:

> Sean Carolan wrote:
> >> I would be thrilled if you experienced users would discuss how to
> >> appraise the constant flow of updates. What your feelings are about
> this
> >> feature and how you use it.
> >>

> > As long as you don't have any kernel modules that are compiled just
> > for a specific kernel, you should be fine just letting Ubuntu's
> > automatic updater do it's thing.  I have VMWare compiled for my
> > current running kernel, so this needs to be re-done each time I update
> > the kernel.
>
> Thanks Sean
> Am I correct in assuming that an update to the kernal would only occur
> with an upgrade? For instance if I accept the offered 7.10 but would not
> happen just from the security and bug fixes?
> >  I think I have a couple of other programs like Cisco's
> > VPN client, but no deal killers.  I run Ubuntu 7.10 on my laptop and
> > enjoy that the updater generally
> > "just works".

Join the Ron Paul Revolution
http://www.prezronpaul.com