[SATLUG] Request discussion of the automatic updating of a distro

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 21:57:49 CST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 7:22 PM, herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:

> I wish to make a personal comment first .. I read every post on this
> list and it is the prime source for my basic education of things Linux.
> Needless to say I am unable to follow many of your discussions because
> you speak in command shorthand, not criticizing just reporting as a
> newbie trying to digest the incredible mass of data in constant flux.
>
> I am often confused because the solutions to problems and the How-to's
> generally involve the use of the CLI when I am coming from many years of
> Windows use and am only able to use Linux with GUI. I now somewhat
> understand the use of the Terminal and am not quite so terrified to hit
> the enter key after pasting in or typing a command. My Ubuntu install
> has been in constant use now for several months without any failure. I
> am currently studying  with off-list assistance from a Satlug member how
> networks work and how to administer them safely.
>
> So I am making progress and am grateful to all of you that make this
> list. Since every few days I am offered updates to Ubuntu and I read the
> brief tag description. Most of the time I have no idea what this will do
> nor any clue to some side effect that could even render my working rig
> unusable. I have always allowed these updates and have not had a problem
> that I am aware of. I started with FC-6 changed to Ubuntu 5.xx, then
> 6.10, then 7.04 where I am now. I have 7.10 installed on another box
> along with SuSe 10.2. But this box contains all my work from the months
> of running and has always had the 7.04 so I have held off on upgrading
> to 7.10 until I have the LAN working and all my files backed up .
>
> .... Ubuntu says: Quick and easy updates. The task bar contains an
> update area where we'll notify you when there are updates available for
> your system, from simple security fixes to a complete version upgrade.
> The update facility enables you to keep your system up-to-date with just
> a few clicks of your mouse. .....
>
> I would be thrilled if you experienced users would discuss how to
> appraise the constant flow of updates. What your feelings are about this
> feature and how you use it.
>
> Thanks Herb
> --

The only thing better than Ubuntu that I have seen is Debian. Some
people feel they are the same but I'm not sure.
For what I do they probably are.
I have used Red Hat Up2date, and both Red Hat and others apt-get and
yum. When I first ran SuSe and then openSUSE i used first the CLI
YaST2 and then the YaST2 GUI. The only thing I never figured out with
SuSE and openSUSE was why I could get updates but when a package came
out with a new version I had to manually go through a process in the
YaST2 GUI to get those updated to the new version. Other people on
this list have not had that problem.

Two things:
1. When I get an update for a package I know I don't use and will
never use like IM (Instant Messaging) I delete the package, if
possible.
That way, in the future, I get fewer updates that I don't know what they are.
Sometimes there are inter-dependencies and the package can't be
deleted easily. Then I just do the update.
I use the "System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager" for all my
package work. It is great for me.

2. Updates go smoothly until non-standard release packages are
installed on your machine by you. These come in two forms.
Locally compiled packages, like the kernel that Sean mentioned, and
third party packages not supplied by Ubuntu.
There can also be problems mixing repositories. So far it looks like
Ubuntu is pretty good about not having that problem.

There are a lot of packages I have no idea what they do and never
will. I just have to trust Ubuntu.
A lot of people much more knowledgeable than I are using that update
system daily.