[SATLUG] Request discussion of the automatic updating of a distro

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Sun Dec 16 23:15:15 CST 2007

Robert Pearson wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> I am often confused because the solutions to problems and the How-to's
>> generally involve the use of the CLI when I am coming from many years of
>> Windows use and am only able to use Linux with GUI. I now somewhat
>> understand the use of the Terminal and am not quite so terrified to hit
>> the enter key after pasting in or typing a command. My Ubuntu install
>> has been in constant use now for several months without any failure. I
>> am currently studying  with off-list assistance from a Satlug member how
>> networks work and how to administer them safely.
>>
>> So I am making progress and am grateful to all of you that make this
>> list. Since every few days I am offered updates to Ubuntu and I read the
>> brief tag description. Most of the time I have no idea what this will do
>> nor any clue to some side effect that could even render my working rig
>> unusable. I have always allowed these updates and have not had a problem
>> that I am aware of. I started with FC-6 changed to Ubuntu 5.xx, then
>> 6.10, then 7.04 where I am now. I have 7.10 installed on another box
>> along with SuSe 10.2. But this box contains all my work from the months
>> of running and has always had the 7.04 so I have held off on upgrading
>> to 7.10 until I have the LAN working and all my files backed up .
>>
>> .... Ubuntu says: Quick and easy updates. The task bar contains an
>> update area where we'll notify you when there are updates available for
>> your system, from simple security fixes to a complete version upgrade.
>> The update facility enables you to keep your system up-to-date with just
>> a few clicks of your mouse. .....
>>
>> I would be thrilled if you experienced users would discuss how to
>> appraise the constant flow of updates. What your feelings are about this
>> feature and how you use it.
>>
>> Thanks Herb
>> --
>>

> The only thing better than Ubuntu that I have seen is Debian. Some
> people feel they are the same but I'm not sure.
> For what I do they probably are.
> I have used Red Hat Up2date, and both Red Hat and others apt-get and
> yum. When I first ran SuSe and then openSUSE i used first the CLI
> YaST2 and then the YaST2 GUI. The only thing I never figured out with
> SuSE and openSUSE was why I could get updates but when a package came
> out with a new version I had to manually go through a process in the
> YaST2 GUI to get those updated to the new version. Other people on
> this list have not had that problem.
>
> Two things:
> 1. When I get an update for a package I know I don't use and will
> never use like IM (Instant Messaging) I delete the package, if
> possible.
> That way, in the future, I get fewer updates that I don't know what they are.
> Sometimes there are inter-dependencies and the package can't be
> deleted easily. Then I just do the update.
> I use the "System/Administration/Synaptic Package Manager" for all my

Yes I am impressed by SPM I have spent some time browsing in the
incredible selection of packages. I have installed several and just goes
so smooth. I do sometimes have to ponder and Google which of the
separate items that are presented, like 'cups' so most of the time I
have only selected what appears to be the main package and go with the
dependencies it chooses

> 2. Updates go smoothly until non-standard release packages are
> installed on your machine by you. These come in two forms.
> Locally compiled packages, like the kernel that Sean mentioned, and
> third party packages not supplied by Ubuntu.
> There can also be problems mixing repositories. So far it looks like
> Ubuntu is pretty good about not having that problem.

I have all five choices checked in the Software Sources dialog and I did
put one site http://apt.wicd.net feisty extras under third party
software when I was trying to get the problem chip NIC card to work.
Would this place me in this category of mixed repositories?
> There are a lot of packages I have no idea what they do and never
> will. I just have to trust Ubuntu.
> A lot of people much more knowledgeable than I are using that update
> system daily.

I certainly am pleased that all five of you that have shared on this are
a mountain of knowledge and you have all been positive. I am very
encouraged and I feel safer now knowing that. Special thanks to Daniel
for directing me onto Ubuntu when I was first stumbling with FC-6. I use
this puter many hours every day being physically limited and I am not
spending all that time facing the blue screen of death, lol.
Thanks Herb