[SATLUG] kismet problems

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Wed Dec 19 08:59:14 CST 2007

riugakusei at netscape.net wrote:
> hi there i am trying to get kismet to work but i am facing some problems: everytime i run kismet i get this:
> WARNING: Sometimes cards don't always come out of monitor mode
>
> ???????? cleanly.? If your card is not fully working, you may need to restart or reconfigure it for normal operation.
>
> Trying to wake networkmanager back up...
>
> Kismet exiting.
>
> ?now after it stops my wireless stops working can anyone here give me some guidance on how to get kismet to work..

I don't know if your user "vega" needs to have write access to
/var/log/kismet/ and maybe read access to /etc/kismet/, but it
definitely seems to be dying when it tries to write to /var/log/kismet/.
I assume that you're starting it up as root.

The above statement tells you what's going on with your wireless. It's
putting the card into monitor mode which means it goes into a listening
mode. It can't connect to a wireless network while it is in monitor
mode. I'm not familiar with the MadWifi cards, but I did find this link
on changing the modes with wlanconfig.

http://madwifi.org/wiki/UserDocs/UsersGuide#a1.2Usingwlanconfig

If it /is/ getting switched back from monitor mode, then networkmanager
is likely not coming back up.

Either way, restarting networking and NetworkManager should get you back
up an running. If you don't know how to do that and can't find out how,
let us know what distro you're running and we'll steer you in the right
direction.

For example, on Ubuntu, I would do the following to ensure my interface
was reset and NetworkManager restarted.

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart && sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart

On CentOS 5.1 I would run each of the following as root:

/etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
/etc/init.d/NetworkManagerDispatcher stop
/etc/init.d/network restart
/etc/init.d/NetworkManager start
/etc/init.d/NetworkManagerDispatcher start

Now that may be a couple steps too many, but it will probably reset the
interface to "normal" settings and get networking back up.